A Safari of Sesame Street Fun at Busch Gardens

When I was about five years old I distinctly remember asking my mother if she could tell me how to get to Sesame Street. Her response?

“It’s very far away.”

“Far away” translated in my child’s mind as far as anyone could go, maybe even as far as China. And so for years I thought Sesame Street was in China.

No longer.

My inner five year old was thrilled to learn that Sesame Street has arrived here in Tampa Bay. Elmo, Big Bird, Burt, Ernie, Grover, Cookie Monster… they’re all part of the new Safari of Fun at Busch Gardens Tampa Bay.

This past Thursday, I loaded my youngest into the car and drove down to Busch Gardens for a special media event kicking off the opening of Safari of Fun. After being under construction for some time, I have been dying to see the new updates so we were there and ready to go at 8:30am that morning.

As part of media day, all of those attending were assigned a personal escort for the day. We were lucky enough to meet Rick, a wonderful guide and patient host as my son ran here and there around the grounds of the  newly updated Safari of Fun.

So what’s it like?

Safari of Fun is an upgraded make over of the old “Land of the Dragons” area – but with more to offer. The entire area has been adapted to a “Sesame Street” theme for which I give a thunderous round of applause. The age of children visiting this area adore Sesame Street – pairing the two makes a lot of sense. All of the old rides are there still, plus a few more. They have added a new kiddie sized swing ride, an echoing exploration area, a spacious new splash park and the brand new Air Grover – a junior coaster perfect for brave preschoolers and young elementary school aged kids.

There is also a new theater show starring the Sesame Street characters which is presented several times a day, there is a new space for daily Sesame Street character breakfasts, and across the park in Timbuktu there is a new 4D Sesame Street movie now being shown.

But what did my kid really think of it all?

Well, I took video so that you can see his reaction for yourself. He even gave me a little wrap up interview the following day. But in a nutshell, he adored it. Sure he was a little nervous around the characters but he could not get enough of the rides and climbing areas which are perfect for his age. He was too scared to try out Air Grover but my friend Maria was kind enough to share her video experience with her three year old. We can not wait to get back and bring my six year old (who is itching to try out Air Grover). Next time we’ll bring our bathing suits too and try out the new splash park.

I also have to point out how professional the staff there are. Rick was a great help and each staff member assisting children on and off the rides could not have been kinder or more patient. They explained they have a “no cry policy” and will stop the ride in an instant if any child is upset. Thanks to all of the staff for making my child’s experience so much fun.

The only slight disappointment was the 4D movie. While funny and well done, the extra “effects” were a little much for the preschoolers in our group. There are quite a few surprising direct sprays of water which caught the kids off guard. We were fairly soaked by the end of the show and one kid was in tears (mine had his hands over his face asking if it was over yet). Older children might love these surprises, I know my six year old would crack up at them. However, Sesame Street is more appropriate for younger kids so I’m just hoping they tone down the scary water sprays but crank the fun, more gentle effects like bubbles, etc. My three year old doesn’t want to try that again but we’ll be taking my six year old for sure.

Finally, check out the video I made of our day at the Sesame Street Safari of Fun. We truly had a blast and we can’t wait to get back there in a couple weeks.

Sesame Street’s Safari of Fun at Busch Gardens, Tampa Bay from Morningside Mom on Vimeo.

Here is Maria Melee from Your Mama Reviews riding Air Grover with her three year old son. (By the way, how cool is this set up? Many props to the Busch Gardens folks to bring this video option to all of us on Media Day.)

Air Grover at Busch Gardens from Your Mama on Vimeo.

Oh and don’t forget! Children 5 and under can register here for a free Busch Gardens Tampa Bay pass for the rest of 2010. Please note that your child does need to be a Florida resident to register.

#1 Melanie (ModernMami) on 03.28.10 at 4:16 pm

Awww man! So sad I missed the event this past Thursday…but I couldn’t drive the 2 hours out there again. Glad you guys had fun!!!
.-= Melanie (ModernMami)´s last blog ..Win a Wii and Wii Fit Plus Bundle! =-.

#2 Erika on 03.28.10 at 5:31 pm

Caroline –

Loved the post! …the video was precious, “Hurry Up Mommy” in the Elmo Treehouse was adorable.

Are you creepin’ on B a bit? You look pretty cozy there next to Big Bird….and isn’t there another pic of you Bert and Ernie?

#3 Diane Davis on 03.29.10 at 5:22 am

What a great time! I can just imagine what my kids would have done if this was around when they were little. ALL were great Sesame Street fans.

#4 Orlando Theme Parks? | Bistro Garden Furniture on 04.02.10 at 1:12 am

[…] A Safari of Sesame Street Fun at Busch Gardens — Morningside Mom […]

#5 www.gadefashions.com/ on 08.01.14 at 8:39 pm

Hello, this weekend is pleasant designed for me, since this
point in time i am reading this enormous educational post here at
my home.
http://www.gadefashions.com/´s last [type] ..http://www.gadefashions.com/

#6 drukowanie banerów opole on 08.12.14 at 11:03 pm

drukowanie banerów opole
I pay a quick visit every day some blogs and information sites to read posts, except
this weblog offers quality based content.
drukowanie banerów opole´s last [type] ..drukowanie banerów opole

#7 http://www.riskmanagementmonitor.com on 09.22.14 at 11:34 pm

This player would not have been there if not for the Tribunal.
Even the most diligent admin, can and will miss, some hackers.
Last year saw a six issue mini series which was written by James Robinson and Keith Giffen, with art by Philip Tan.
http://www.riskmanagementmonitor.com´s last [type] ..http://www.riskmanagementmonitor.com

#8 triche hay day tablette android on 10.11.14 at 1:14 am

whoah this weblog is fantastic i love studying your
posts. Keep up the good work! You recognize,
lots of individuals are hunting round for
this information, you could help them greatly.
triche hay day tablette android´s last [type] ..triche hay day tablette android

#9 Airport Transfers Marsworth on 10.20.14 at 2:34 pm

If you are going for best contents like me, just ppay a quick visit this site everyday sinche iit
provides feature contents, thanks
Airport Transfers Marsworth´s last [type] ..Airport Transfers Marsworth

#10 Russian Car Crash Compilation January - 2015 on 02.08.15 at 4:12 pm

Moving ahead in time, the Song Dynasty of Emperors
(960-1279 AD) was a period of great advance in all branches of the “arts”,
including medicine, possibly due to the state sponsorship of scholars and
the wide spread and availability of “written” materials.
Each moment of the CDs is filled with warmth, humor,
and a deep connection to those who have come before
us. I have very little experience with acupuncture; at two different times
I engaged acupuncturists to assist me with “quit smoking”.
Russian Car Crash Compilation January – 2015´s last [type] ..Russian Car Crash Compilation January – 2015

#11 car on 03.03.15 at 7:09 am

It’s in fact very difficult in this full of activity life to listen news on Television, so I just use web for that purpose, and get the newest information.
car´s last [type] ..car

#12 neighborlyquant89.webgarden.com on 03.27.15 at 4:55 pm

Utilice el Siguiente Formulario para Solicitar los Servicios Presenciales de Abogado en Madrid capital.
neighborlyquant89.webgarden.com´s last [type] ..neighborlyquant89.webgarden.com

#13 Rick on 04.09.15 at 4:06 am

The reporter funnily posted that as ‘Saint-Pierre & Miquelon: There
are roads, but the land appears to be missing.
It establishes clique and prevents social tensions from arising.
It provides wealthy internet browser amenities as well.
Rick´s last [type] ..Rick

#14 abortivequery8472.snack.ws on 04.09.15 at 8:14 pm

Thiis situation fits tightly inn tto tthe geometry from the phone.
They tease us with clever poems, roses, daily texts and calls, only to turn artound in the blink of an eye and complettely disappear or disappoint us.
Jailbreaking, thhe organization said, simplpy leaves
the cell phone open to the destructive problems
Apple organizatiion tries to prevent with its tough security
product or service environment and Appp Store
inspection procedure.
abortivequery8472.snack.ws´s last [type] ..abortivequery8472.snack.ws

#15 importando com sucesso larissa dobler on 06.18.15 at 11:55 am

The first of the mobile phones to be launched in India was during the 1990’s.
You will see the projected total of your order which might
change slightly depending on the weight of produce or other items and of course taxes.
To choose the color and style of Barbie’s hair is very manageable.
importando com sucesso larissa dobler´s last [type] ..importando com sucesso larissa dobler

#16 posicionamiento web on 07.01.15 at 5:01 pm

This is my first time pay a quick visit at here and i am actually pleassant tto ead everthing at alone place.

My page posicionamiento web
posicionamiento web´s last [type] ..posicionamiento web

#17 Dating Scams on 07.05.15 at 8:12 am

Your site appears to be having some compatibilty problems in my internet explorer browser. The text appears to be running off the page pretty bad. If you would like you can email me at: %EMAIL% and I will shoot you over a screen grab of the problem.

#18 TERRARIA PC Game on 07.24.15 at 4:01 pm

It’s awesome in support of me to have a site, which is
good for my experience. thanks admin
TERRARIA PC Game´s last [type] ..TERRARIA PC Game

#19 Andres on 07.30.15 at 9:12 pm

The tutor on my course was outstanding really approachable and had loads of
fantastic understanding on coaching an careers.
Andres´s last [type] ..Andres

#20 olivers tree services ltd on 08.05.15 at 3:46 pm

This is the second tree to come down here for Historic Scotland.
olivers tree services ltd´s last [type] ..olivers tree services ltd

#21 me salio super económico aqui on 08.26.15 at 2:07 am

Por fin me llego el videojuego para la playstation y me salio super tirado de
me salio super económico aqui´s last [type] ..me salio super económico aqui

#22 reputation management on 08.26.15 at 10:38 pm

VJG Interactive– VJG Interactive’s tfack recor administration solutions include crisis reputation management
as well as prevention, as well as brand promotion.
reputation management´s last [type] ..reputation management

#23 Mira Que Barato Aqui La Playstation3 on 08.28.15 at 4:50 am

la mejor consola playstation3 jamas inventada sin duda
Mira Que Barato Aqui La Playstation3´s last [type] ..Mira Que Barato Aqui La Playstation3

#24 mira que chollo aqui Sniper Elite 3 on 08.28.15 at 5:54 am

Finally I have the videogame and I came baratito
mira que chollo aqui Sniper Elite 3´s last [type] ..mira que chollo aqui Sniper Elite 3

#25 aqui mas informacion on 09.01.15 at 1:39 am

hola amig@ yo compre un televisor hace poco y ha salido todo chevere, les pego la dirección. Tambien creo que hay de todas
las marcas con ofertas super.
aqui mas informacion´s last [type] ..aqui mas informacion

#26 chung cu hoang cau on 09.11.15 at 11:53 am

I’m amazed, I must say. Seldom do I come across a blog that’s both equally
educative and entertaining, and without a doubt, you’ve hit
the nail on the head. The problem is something that not enough people are speaking
intelligently about. I am very happy I found this in my search for
something concerning this.
chung cu hoang cau´s last [type] ..chung cu hoang cau

#27 Sofia on 10.22.15 at 8:08 am

Por fin compre el PC jaja ahora a chulera
Sofia´s last [type] ..Sofia