Love the Gulf

Over the past month, I have awoken to updates about the oil spill on the Gulf. While clearing my cobwebs over a bowl of Cheerios and some quick news, without fail I see the same thing: footage of gallons and gallons of oil bubbling up from the bottom of the sea.

This oil will ooze and spread and affect hundreds of thousands of lives – animal and person alike. It will have an enormous potentially unprecedented economic and environmental impact. Although, we have no idea to what extent yet. We have no idea how many eco-systems will be interrupted, or how many fishing businesses will go under, or how many beaches will be unswimmable making Florida not quite the vacation spot it used to be. But the oil keeps coming and those living in the Gulf’s coastal communities have no choice but to wait and see how all of this will unfold over the months and years to come.

It has filled me with such anger, fear and sadness.

But most of all? I am left feeling horribly helpless.

What can I do??

Well, I can write the hell out of this. And so can you.

The utterly fabulous Deb on the Rocks had an idea the other day. And my dear friend Maria and I jumped right on in. We would like to host a Love the Gulf Blog Carnival. And anyone else feeling as helpless as we are is welcome to come join the party.

Here’s the deal.

1. Write. Write how much you love the Gulf. Or about your memories of splashing on its shores as a child. Or maybe you need a place to vent your anger about what could happen. Or maybe you know a family whose livelihood is being deeply affected by this. Or maybe you have some breath-taking and beautiful pictures of the Gulf that must be shared. Bring it here, link it up, let’s collect our mutual love for the Gulf and make lots and lots of noise about it.

2. Post your link using the Mr. Linky widget here. Or post it on Maria’s blog Mommy Melee or Deb’s at Deb on the Rocks.

3. Pick up a Love the Gulf badge to put in your post or on your blog.

4. Spread the word. Share the Gulf love. Tell folks to come join this carnival on twitter (we’re using #lovethegulf over there), facebook or in the coffee line at Dunkin Donuts. Whatever. Just tell people to come and write. All are welcome.

5. Consider donating, signing up to volunteer or sharing links about where you can help such as: Earthshare, Network for Good, Oxfam, Serve.gov or the Florida Audubon.

And finally, thank you. Thanks for directing your attention towards the Gulf. And thanks for recognizing the collective power of words.

#1 Shan D. on 05.27.10 at 8:27 am

Thumbs up – you rock.

#2 Maria on 05.27.10 at 10:25 am

That picture is so beautiful.

Thank you for the facts. I always love your perspective.
.-= Maria´s last blog ..Love the Gulf =-.

#3 I Love My Gulf and Want it Back « Adjunctmom's Blog on 05.27.10 at 10:49 am

[...] I want it back. This post is part of the Love the Gulf blog carnival being sponsored by Caroline at Morningside Mom, Deb at Deb on the Rocks, and Maria at Mommy Melee. Please make sure to check out their posts and [...]

#4 Beth on 05.27.10 at 10:52 am

Sigh, I accidentally linked twice. I’m a total space cadet today. Sorry about that.

I’m with you, though, I don’t know how to help. I want to help, but I don’t know what to do. I just feel so sad and helpless, but not hopeless. The Gulf was here before us, and I have to believe it will still be here.
.-= Beth´s last blog ..I Love My Gulf and Want it Back =-.

#5 Holly at Tropic of Mom on 05.27.10 at 7:45 pm

I can’t really say it better than you have, but I will write a post for solidarity!
.-= Holly at Tropic of Mom´s last blog ..Blogger wasteland =-.

#6 Love the Gulf … « If I Could Escape . . . on 05.29.10 at 6:46 am

[...] Little did I know that three weeks later, I’d be writing another post born of the same frustration for the I Love the Gulf bloggie carnival.  [...]

#7 Save our seas … « If I Could Escape . . . on 05.29.10 at 6:48 am

#8 Janet on 05.30.10 at 12:53 pm

Well written. Thanks for hosting this.
.-= Janet´s last blog ..Flashback: Gulf Oil Spill 1979 =-.

#9 Emily on 05.31.10 at 7:55 pm

.-= Holly at Tropic of Mom´s last blog ..Blogger wasteland =-.

#10 Lua on 06.01.10 at 5:34 pm

What a wonderful post and idea. It breaks my heart to see those horrible images of oil spilled all over our glorious water.
.-= Lua´s last blog ..Happy Memorial Day =-.

#11 CatrinkaS on 06.04.10 at 2:59 pm

I can’t even write, beyond my initial musings. I think only a stream of obscenities. I cannot believe this – more Wrong than I could conceive of on my own. Feels like End Days. Really. It is a short step from her to bawling uncontrollably.

Nothing, in the public sphere, has ever affected me like this. Nothing. Nothing at all.
.-= CatrinkaS´s last blog ..half =-.

#12 CatrinkaS on 06.04.10 at 2:59 pm

Here. That is, “It is a short step from here…”
.-= CatrinkaS´s last blog ..half =-.

#13 Monique on 06.05.10 at 7:20 pm

There are no words to describe how devastating this BP oil spill has been. Please STOP it!

#14 Corina on 06.08.10 at 2:13 pm

Thank you so much for doing this. My thoughts are with you.
Corina´s last [type] ..The Toxic Miracle