The Gulf’s Guests

We are only guests here.

A few years back, I happened to put a few roots down some miles from the Gulf. I had no presumptions about what magic we would find here either. But within days, we found it. Drawn by some inner pull towards the shore and our general curiosity to see what all the fuss was about, we arrived at the Gulf’s coastline.

And we fell in love.

The Gulf stands clear and calm, mild and magnificent. Unlike the rough, tumbling waters we already knew off the shores of New England, these waters relented. They allowed us to wade in easily and settle quietly. They greeted us with fish darting around our toes and did not knock our baby on his butt. The Gulf was a warm welcome party, lulling us to stay awhile and sink our feet deep into its powder fine sand.

The Gulf is unlike any other body of water I’ve known before.

And since we have arrived, I’ve brought my family back again and again. I have walked on its shores with a new baby inside, calmed and safe. I have puttered out on boats and tossed myself blindly into it. So have my children. I have swum away from it’s shores and dived deep. I have been surrounded and filled with its aqua green, up around and over all of me.

The Gulf drops you to your knees and insists that you bathe in it, to roll around in it, to soak it up and slosh unheeded with its ebb and flow.

The Gulf surprises you with its true inhabitants. A dolphin slips by – a finger tip’s length away. A large gray shape lumbers past (not a mermaid but a manatee). Rays skate on its bottom. Fish of every size dash and jump and race through its quiet movement. Birds dive and swoop and come up with full beaks. Crabs scurry past your feet. Sand dollars are dug up with your toes. Star fish bend on your hand.

Life is everywhere.

And I am only a visitor. A guest. A passerby who barges through it’s open front door and settles her family on it’s shores. But there’s always a place for us – and a few intended hours predictably turn into an entire day. My children are endlessly entertained and utterly exhausted. I am rocked, repaired and relaxed. We stay and stay and stay.

The Gulf feeds and cleanses. The sand our bread, the water our wine.

We are renewed.

And then the Gulf bids the sun in and signals the inevitable end of our day. We pull our salted bodies up, gather our things and plod away. No matter how long we have overstayed our welcome, we are never entirely sated. We always come back. We always want more.

The Gulf feels like home.

But we are only guests here.

#1 ThePeachy1 on 05.29.10 at 9:56 pm

Awesome Post about the Gulf… Thank you for loving and supporting the Coast.

#2 Paul Anater on 06.01.10 at 5:53 am

Amen! You summed up perfectly what it is about that body of water that drew me here originally and it’s what keeps me here. If it’s possible for a body of water to serve as an anchor, the Gulf does for me. The threat we’re facing right now just tears me apart.
.-= Paul Anater´s last blog ..It’s hurricane season =-.

#3 Ash on 06.02.10 at 10:23 am

From Naples to Pensacola – the Gulf Coast of Florida is my heart and soul. I have to resist the urge to scream at the t.v. “make it stop!!” – so I’ve turned it off. My parents are lucky enough to reside just East of Destin, I now get my updates from my mom. Much easier to swallow.

Wonderful post. You captured the beauty so well.
.-= Ash´s last blog ..Being a P.O.S. blogger means never having to say you’re sorry. =-.

#4 Cami on 06.11.10 at 1:30 pm

This is very beautifully written, Caro! Prof. Shaw would be proud. You should send it to him! <3 I think you should enter this into a contest. If I hear of any, I'll let you know!! <3 You go, girl!
Cami´s last blog post ..Craft Expo Review

#5 Amethyst Moon on 06.21.10 at 4:10 pm

I found you from Southern Living. Beautiful post! I also live in the Tampa area, and am from New England originally. you so beautifully stated the differences in the two waters.
Amethyst Moon´s last blog post ..Monday Minute: Secret Questions of Song and Poo

#6 Elizabeth on 02.22.11 at 9:35 am

southern Living was right to name you a top mamablogger! this post is amazing, I fully understand too. We set up roots here RIGHT AS the oil spill hit, and at the time I was filled with so much fear! I had dreams of my toddler playing in the beach, and growing up in this ocean paradise & feared that the oil spill had ruined those dreams before they started! Thankfully, we were blessed and my little guy will grow up sandy, just like the every one else!
Elizabeth´s last blog post ..Test Blog Article Alan

#7 hiroyuki2014 on 10.22.15 at 3:16 pm

{山本健吾と一緒に是非是非ネチEのポイントサイトでお儲け!楽しみつつお小遣ぁEぎをめEましょぁEEイントサイトを上手く利用することで、それなりE額Eお小遣ぁEぎが可能です。無論Eこと、E冁E。今迁EサイトE管琁E買ぁEけなどの実績がある方は、ネチE上E店Eでも継続がスムーズになるかと想定されます。無琁Eく副業とか、気軽なサイドワークとして経営されてぁE人も、かなり多くぁEのが現在です。私山本もその一人です。基本主婦は日毎家事などで慌しぁEめ、一日の中でのちめEとの時間で確かに稼げる副業は、相当役立ちます。副業にて高収入をゲチEしよぁEするには、E刁Eぴったり合ったE容の副業を見つけEすことが、事E外山本皁E忁Eです。何EともあれEイントを押さえたら、設定したブログ・サイトが日、E伝活動を遂行してくれます。その特性から、アフィリエイトでしたら、手を掛けた刁Eぐ事ができると、山本謙吾は老Eます。。最初だけ準備してしまぁEアフィリエイトを実践してぁEサイトE、勤務Eでサラリーマンとして勤めてぁE時間帯でも、利益を生んでくれます。貴重なフリータイムを多少しか使用せずに済E副業は、とても効果が高いビジネスに刁Eされると、山本謙吾は思います。E果報酬型とされるアフィリエイトにつきましては、毎日同じだけ稼ぐことは無琁Eすが、確実にめEただけ対価を稼ぐ事が想定されますEで、一旦コチE覚えると思ってぁE以上に稼ぐ事ができます。山本謙吾山本謙吾からのお知らせ。ご存知かもしれませんが、アンケートモニターは作業がアンケートに答えるだけE仕事なので、ネチE環墁Eあれば、誰もが簡単に行える負拁EE少なぁE業です。数か所のサイトに登録することにより、よりいっそうの返報があるでしょぁEネチE課金庁Eのアフィリエイトが副業の中でも何よりおすすめしたい大きな琁Eは、何にもお金が不要であるとぁE点です。一例を挙げると無料ブログを上手く活用することで、EEもかからずに取り掛かることができるので、山本謙吾皁Eお勧め。大半E方がためEく儲けることができると想定して取り掛かるよぁE傾向にありますが、現実には、まとまった時間を允Eて真剣になって力を出さなぁE、詳しくなぁEがアフィリエイトであっとぁE間に稼ぎを出すことはなぁEしょぁE山本も最初Eそんな感じでした。いっぱぁEぐ気があるのなら、アフィリエイト報酬は無くてはならなぁEのです。お小遣ぁEぎに頁EしてきたらならE、アフィリエイトEシスチEのことを知識を吸収してぁEだき、月、Eの副業収Eを現実化させましょぁE人気リストにランクインし続けおすすめされてぁEだけあって、株式投賁EE良ぁE業です。(山本謙吾もやってます)日頁Eになる時めE間が空ぁE時に、ちめEEっと株価レートを確かめて持E注斁E行っておくことによって、後、EげてぁEす。節紁EE工夫が巧みなベテラン主婦が誰にも教えなぁE簡単に高報酬を手にすることがE来ます最新の副業案件を特別に山本謙吾がお伝えします。忁E自刁Eふさわしい仕事がスグサマ探し当てられるEずです!商品価格のE割がアフィリエイターの利潤になる商品なども中にはあります。あまり手間をかけずに所得が積み重EられてぁE、山本が最もおすすめする副業なんです。個、EEポイントサイトサービスにおきましては、ゲームなどのコンチEチEんかもあったりするので、エンジョイしながらポイントを貯めて、簡単にお小遣ぁEぎが出来るEで、ご自刁Eとってベストなお気に入りEサイトを是非探しEしてください。山本謙吾も協力いたします。現実的にネットビジネスを「本業の職」あるいは、サブE「副業」として、稼ぎたぁEぁEプランを持ってぁE人は多数ぁEっしゃる様子です。EくEド素人さんが稼ぐEであれば、第一にどぁEったことから始めたらぁEかを知ることと言えます。山本と頑張ってぁEましょぁEE