There’s No Gift Receipt For This

My father travels a lot. I’ve never sat him down and counted exactly how many countries and continents he’s been to because I’m not sure that we could do it. There are far too many. However. As one of his many family members, we have all grown used to receiving all varieties of fascinating gifts upon his return. Tapestries, woven baskets, carved chests, coral jewelry, endless unusual things.

Cool right?

Not so fast.

This year he out did himself. He spent 6 months in the Philippines this past year and, amongst a few lovely items, he brought home some… other things… for his grandsons.

I almost feel bad posting what they are. It may be very offensive for some. For real. It is pretty damned disturbing. But of course the boys LOVED them, the oldest planning to store his tooth fairy money in them from now on.

But then again, they are too insane NOT to post. So here I go. But brace yourself. And yes. They are “real”. With googly-eyes.

GAH.

My apologies.

But you only have to live with this post. I HAVE TO LIVE WITH TWO OF THEM IN MY HOUSE. EVERYDAY. And my children TOSSING them at me, because they think my reaction is FUNNY.

Thanks Dad. Love them. Yay.

#1 mrs. r on 01.03.11 at 9:29 am

my 3 year old just said, “what is that? is that real?” lol. pretty much sums it up.

#2 Diane on 01.03.11 at 9:35 am

I don’t remember where or why, but I saw an entire website devoted to selling these things recently. Just knowing they existed was horrifying enough, but that they are really real and IN YOUR HOUSE? Oh, Caroline, I am SO SORRY.
Diane´s last [type] ..Everything is relative Yes- it is

#3 paula schuck on 01.03.11 at 9:36 am

Oh my heavens, that is hideous! There are two of them? Gah! Scary.
paula schuck´s last [type] ..More Kickass Blogging Lessons From 2010

#4 tcmom on 01.03.11 at 9:39 am

Diane! An entire website!?? Off to torture myself and see if I can find it. (Meanwhile, it’s sitting on my table staring at me… Possibly willing me to find his sibs… *shudder*)

#5 Angie [A Whole Lot of Nothing] on 01.03.11 at 9:40 am

Oh HOLY JEEEESUS.

I kind of want one.

#6 Grumble Girl on 01.03.11 at 11:03 am

Those are just the sort of thing that get “accidentally” trashed while the kids are at school… or they inexplicably disappear. “Take better care of your things, then!!”

I feel for you, woman. Oy.
Grumble Girl´s last [type] ..Laughing in the Face of Things

#7 Chantel on 01.03.11 at 11:03 am

Oh my! Ummm, I don’t know what to say. The zipper on the bottom?! OMG! They look really creepy in the photo’s, I can’t imagine how it looks in person.

#8 drbabymamadrama on 01.03.11 at 9:23 pm

Sweet fancy Moses, my eyes! Creeptastic.

#9 naomi on 01.04.11 at 1:25 am

whowzas! my boys would LOVE LOVE LOVE those! Our dogs would likely eat them!
naomi´s last [type] ..IS THE YAMUNA A RIVER OF DEATH

#10 Elly Lou on 01.04.11 at 7:17 am

I will never sleep again. Hold me. Please hold me. But only after you’ve fully sanitized your hands from touching that thing.
Elly Lou´s last [type] ..There‚Äôs Mascara Everywhere

#11 ilinap on 01.04.11 at 9:38 am

OMG. I really wish I had not looked at those pics. I haven’t the guts to deal with that sort of thing. Those would have “mysteriously” disappeared in my house, and I would have totally blamed it on the dog.

Also, I hope you have LOTS of soap in your house.

#12 Jen on 01.05.11 at 10:17 am

Oh, yuck! I actually did a little double take because I (naturally) looked at the photos first and then read the explanation.

I have an aversion to frogs and toads and these things would creep me out if they were in my house. Ah, boys.
Jen´s last [type] ..Chick n Pug

#13 Brian on 01.07.11 at 11:21 pm

Tell me these things are not real – they can’t be. Or at least that they are made out of “normal” leather to look like toads.

#14 Deb Rox on 01.10.11 at 7:57 am

There must be a way you can feng shui yourself out of that, because those things are going to eat your chi. At a minimum.

#15 Kelly on 01.20.11 at 6:38 pm

If my husband ever gives me a hard time again when we stumble upon the purse made out of a coconut that I had to have when we honeymooned in Mexico, I will remember to show him this. Too funny.

#16 MommyNamedApril on 01.22.11 at 7:45 am

NOOOOOOO!!!! *gag*

LOL!
MommyNamedApril´s last [type] ..I Dont Have a Title for This One Sorry About That