Christmas Present

It’s happening right now.

In the past, I thought forward. I considered and dreamed about my so very dear adult-life. The man I would marry. I wrote lists of names for my children. I sighed about where we would live.  I would wonder how they would look. My so very perfect, just-so life.

And I said I would take my children to The Nutcracker someday. When *I* was a mother. And they would, of course, love it as much as I did.

That day came last week. My son had seemed interested so now, at 8, I decided it was time he went. But at 38, I try not to get too caught up in romanticising what I will do with my children anymore. Things change, kids don’t like what you did a lot of the time, real-life isn’t so make-believe. But I bought the tickets and I took him. We held hands. We walked along the Riverwalk before the show. We sat and read the program and ate cough drops together and giggled about how we couldn’t stop coughing. When the lights went down and he heard the music, he smiled. And he turned to me. He got it right away. He loved it like I had. This was something special for him, too.

Suddenly I became far too aware that the future that I had day-dreamed about for so many years is happening right now. There are no more second chances, there no do-overs. This is it. My life. My adult life. And these are my children doing some of the things I dreamed and many that I didn’t.

This Christmas season has brought lots of difficult news. Apart from some things that I have written about, two friends have been diagnosed with breast cancer (one being one of my closet college friends), there are friends with very sick relatives, some with new concerns about their children, others who have had miscarriages, and others who have lost jobs. And while things remain blessedly peaceful and healthy in my life, there is a lot of coping and getting through the season happening all around me.

Again, it is very clear to me that every hope and dream for the future is so very very uncertain.

So, I don’t want to look forward so much anymore. I don’t want to think about what will happen in my dreamy little grown-up world. And I don’t want to think about what could have been or how things used to be. I want to grab hold of the present and BE entirely in it.

I want to tie myself to this very moment and experience it and let every taste and sound and feeling sink right on in. I don’t want to miss a thing, I want my eyes wide open to it all.

There will never be another first time I get to take my oldest child to The Nutcracker. So I sat in the theater and held his hand and watched him watch and laugh and listen and clap loudly. It was perfect and everything right now needs to be.

This, my life, is happening right now. This Christmas, this time when both of my children still believe in Santa and shamelessly dance “Christmas is almost here” dances in the hallway together, in Spider-man jammies… this is happening RIGHT NOW. 8 and 5 turns into 9 and 6 next year. And on it goes.

I cherish every Christmas past. I hope for many Christmases in the future. But I am living and breathing this Christmas present. I have what I have right now — and it is a gift.

To inspire little boy smiles for our family Christmas card, we pretended to pick my 8yo’s nose.

(Now I kind of wish I had “picked” this one for our card… har har.)

#1 Veronica on 12.22.11 at 9:22 pm

Love this. Merry Christmas, my friend. Let’s talk soon – like next couple days soon…

#2 Krista Girard on 12.23.11 at 2:28 pm

You inspire me.

#3 Alberta T. Evans on 12.29.11 at 12:29 am

Great post! This is very inspiring. I have lot’s of friends that go to heaven this year. It really breaks my heart but I know they are in the better place right now. Happy new year to you friend :)
Alberta T. Evans´s last blog post ..Chromagen contacts

#4 Nan on 01.09.12 at 12:53 am

A terrific reminder!! We each do need to stay ‘present’ in each moment — you’re right, the gifts are in the moments we live them. Thanks, Caroline

#5 Rose on 01.27.12 at 1:49 am

Well, there was one year where my aunt gave me an electric toothbrush for Christmas. Thinking back on it, I’m sure it was a very reasonable and useful gift. But considering I was about 10 at the time, I was less than thrilled. Nowadays I wouldn’t mind that as a gift of course, but back then I was a bit more excited by ninja turtles and a new bike.
Rose´s last blog post ..Paleo recipe book

#6 Victoria12 on 02.08.12 at 10:38 pm

Everyday we have a gift that some others don’t appreciate and thankful for it. The life that we have is a special gift and not the material things that we have. Let us be thankful for the HE gave to us and I thankful for it every minute that I breath.

#7 small.dogbreeds.help on 11.17.15 at 8:32 pm

They do not tolerate intrusions and they’ll fight
to defend their space. According on the Army, their primary purpose is “to aid identify remains in the fallen.

This article was developed by a professional writer and edited by experienced copy editors, both qualified members of the Demand Media Studios community. Enjoy complimentary coffee, mini refrigerators, snack centers, valet dry cleaning and data ports. Walk your leashed dog down the perimeter of one’s property, giving a boundary command (like yard) if she efforts to cross the line. All suites have full kitchenettes and amenities including complimentary wireless high-speed Internet access, security safe, blow dryer, iron and ironing board, cable and DVD player. small.dogbreeds.help This article was
developed by a professional writer and edited by experienced copy editors, both
qualified members of the Demand Media Studios community.
Enjoy complimentary coffee, mini refrigerators, snack centers,
valet dry cleaning and data ports. Walk your leashed dog
down the perimeter of one’s property, giving a boundary command (like yard)
wireless high-speed Internet access, security
safe, blow dryer, iron and ironing board, cable and DVD player.
small.dogbreeds.help´s last blog post ..small.dogbreeds.help

#8 Maree on 12.06.15 at 7:13 am

This is an old post of yours, but a beautiful one, and comes just at the right time, as it’s almost Christmas and sometimes I need the reminder to enjoy the moment. Your kids must be 12 and 9 now! I really hope they’re well and you have an amazing Christmas this year.

#9 Marianne on 12.31.15 at 12:23 pm

Aspect by side with the smaller Moto 360 2 – its closest rival in terms of
aesthetics – it’s clearly a better show. Not just because
it offers real 360-diploma visuals, however as a result of all
the things just appears sharper.
Marianne´s last blog post ..Marianne

#10 Cameron on 02.07.16 at 9:19 am

It’s not my first time to pay a visit this web page, i
am browsing this web site dailly and get nice information from
here every day.