Mama Bear Friendships

Friendships — the real, legit kind — surprise me sometimes. I think I know how I will be or give or take from those friendships… but it’s not until things get real that I really do know.

My closest friend in the world has had some amazing blessings in her life. And she has also lived the worst kind of tragedy. And I have lived from afar for most of it. But still, there is this visceral reaction to her emotions and experiences that just doesn’t seem at all eased by distance. Weird.

Have you ever had a friend like that? The kind that you never see but you would jump in front of a train for without even knowing that you have?

Phone pain

On the phone, trying to stop a falling piano.

When tragedy struck for her, my reactions were unexpected but I suppose not surprising. I wanted to be exactly by her side as if there was a way I could absorb some of the pain, buffer it, distract it, just (oh God please) STOP it. I remember thinking that it felt like a piano was falling on her over and over. And while jumping in front of that piano wouldn’t protect her pain, there was a chance I could stop even the tiniest, slightest bit and share it and take some fraction of it on so that she wasn’t alone in that deep well of pain. I wanted to be right there, but I also wanted to take up the least amount of space. I didn’t want to be anything else she needed to care for or explain to or think about.

A protective, pain-sharing, invisible shield. With the very best intentions.

I don’t think I protected her one little bit. I do think I was in the way a little. But she graciously allowed me in that space. There was enough piano pain for everyone, you know.

And now, a very wonderful blessing has arrived into her life. Oh, you guys, she is the best, sweetest kind of blessing. 8 lbs, 12 ounces of joy with a helping of her mama’s dimples.

I spent a lot of time Facetiming my friend tonight, only just barely home from the hospital.

Have you had baby? If so, do you remember those first days when your milk comes in and all hell is breaking lose in your body, things no one can see but… WHOA… shit is getting real, you know? And still, everyone wants to celebrate that wee one, and be there, and “help.”

Once again, she graciously let me in. And I was with her when she really just needed alone time. And a handful of Motrin and, sweet mother of God, some sleep.

It’s funny, now that so much good is happening, I almost feel like I want to step back (which is not too hard to do this far away). Again, I am having unexpected but not surprising reactions to this GOOD. I feel like I want to leave her in it. I want to make space for as much joy as possible to come rushing in and wrap her all up. I don’t want to take ANY of it for me. I don’t want to step in front of it or stop it or experience it for her. SHE GETS IT ALL. She deserves it all.

But she gave me some, still. I watched her oldest hold her youngest in the middle of a peaceful cloud of pillows, while people fussed beyond her closed door in the kitchen. What a gift.

Of course, when your favorite loved ones experience very very good things and very very bad things, I think we ALL go “mama bear” for a little while. Something deep down bubbles to the top and acts out on love and instinct, rather than acting on “what is done.” Not that I am really doing anything a million miles away.

And not that I am acting on those feelings entirely, either. Because my feelings are telling me to throw everything to the wind and get on a plane.

But there is GOOD right now, you know? And it’s hers. And her having that good brings me peace and less anxiety about jumping on a plane. I’ll see them all eventually but… everything is (oh God, thank you) OK.

Anyway, I don’t have moments like this often. I thought “mama bear” reactions were strictly for children and husbands and parents and siblings. But friends like these are chosen family and she is so very, VERY much a part of mine.

And I am so very grateful that my closest and dear are all very GOOD right now.

All is well.

And there are dimples out there, people. DIMPLES.

#1 Florida Body Shop on 09.02.13 at 1:26 pm

Congratulations to your friend. Sounds like she is lucky to have a good friend like you.

#2 Caissa on 09.02.13 at 5:17 pm

Aw! So sweet! Love this post, Caro. You’re such a loving friend.

#3 Medifast coupon on 09.26.14 at 3:09 am

Cash advance money today ranges from 85 to 1500 for any very short period
of two weeks until the next payday.
Medifast coupon´s last blog post ..Medifast coupon

#4 Zenni Optical promo code on 09.30.14 at 1:34 am

In this fiscal segment, individuals can submit loan form with an amount within the array of.
Zenni Optical promo code´s last blog post ..Zenni Optical promo code

#5 netflix account settings on 11.13.15 at 9:20 pm

Buying, selling and trading stocks is usually a reasonably easy method to build your own personal financial portfolio.

Turn on the Xbox 360 when youve successfully registered for Netflix.
How to Activate Netflix upon an i – Pad; What Is the Netflix Streaming Format for that i –
Pad. Modern high-definition televisions really are a lot like LCD computer monitors: Both use LCD screens with specific pixel counts, and both depend on. Netflix Watch Instantly allows members to observe an unlimited number
of movies and TV shows as streaming Internet
video on their own computers. netflix account settings
Turn on the Xbox 360 when youve successfully registered for
Netflix. How to Activate Netflix upon an i – Pad; What Is the Netflix Streaming
Format for that i – Pad. Modern high-definition televisions really are a lot like LCD computer monitors:
Instantly allows members to observe an unlimited
number of movies and TV shows as streaming Internet video on their own computers.
netflix account settings´s last blog post ..netflix account settings

#6 aol.com login on 11.16.15 at 9:59 am

No appear the reason you need to connect a document in AOL mail to a message, it truly is best to understand the basic skills to
accomplish the job right.

AOL was one in the original and largest Internet companies.
A recipe with the classic French 75 cocktail, which combines
gin, lemon, and champagne in the delightful cocktail thats
prepared to ring from the New Year. If there’s suspicious activity on the account, the financial lending union can freeze the account until
it’s proved to its satisfaction. AOL lets you recover recently deleted emails,
however. aol.com login AOL was one in the original and largest Internet companies.
A recipe with the classic French 75 cocktail, which combines gin, lemon,
and champagne in the delightful cocktail thats prepared to ring from the New Year.
the account until it’s proved to its satisfaction. AOL lets you recover recently deleted emails, however.
aol.com login´s last blog post ..aol.com login

#7 best small dog breeds for apartments on 11.17.15 at 8:10 pm

Dogs which are taken from abusive situations could possibly be nervous and fearful.
If you possess a problem with your pet being
interested in chewing larger or immobile objects such as furniture,
draperies or wooden trim, confining the troublesome area in the home
can be an option.

Change your canines diet permanently if it will continue to
have peptic issues. When your pet performs a task correctly, praise him and
present him a goody. The rooms all have a very clock radio, blow
dryer, coffeemaker, free local cell phone calls,
handheld remote control television and work desk.
Natural Laxatives for Dogs; What to Give a Cat as being a Laxative;.
best small dog breeds for apartments Change
your canines diet permanently if it will continue to have peptic issues.
When your pet performs a task correctly, praise him and
present him a goody. The rooms all have a very clock radio, blow dryer, coffeemaker, free local cell phone calls, handheld remote control television and work desk.
Natural Laxatives for Dogs; What to Give a Cat as being a Laxative;.
best small dog breeds for apartments´s last blog post ..best small dog breeds for apartments